Hotel Deals - Discount Price Promotion

Visa and work permits

On entry most countries get a 30 day tourist visa although this can be 60 or 90 days if done at the Thai embassy in your own country. The well known border runs can be done with a minimum of fuss to either Laos or Cambodia. It is a one day trip to extend your tourist visa for another 30 or 60 days. However the recent immigration laws have stated that you can only do the border runs 3 times then you have to leave the country and come back via an airport, the common destination is Singapore or Malaysia. 1 week extensions can be done at Thai immigration for 1,900 baht.

For any citizen of another country you need to obtain a visa to enter the kingdom of Thailand, a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent stay. 42 countries are except from obtaining a visa beforehand and are issued one on arrival, for more information please go to .

Diplomatic or official visas are needed when travelling to the kingdom on official business and these types of visas carry no charge. The non-immigrant visa is valid for a period of 90 days, and the tourist visa is valid for a period of 60 days. An extension of 30 days can be done at Thai immigration but is at the discretion of the immigration officers. For visitors carrying a tourist visa employment is strictly prohibited. A transit visa is for citizens travelling in transit through Thailand in order to get to his/her country or partaking in a sporting event it is not for tourism.

Foreigners wishing to stay on a permanent basis will need an immigrant visa please click the link below for more information.

Please go to:

Immigration Bureau of Thailand
Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road
Sathorn, Bangkok 10400
Tel : (662) 287-3101 ext. 2271
Website :

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Thailand
Sri Ayudhaya Road, Payathai,
Rajathevee, Bangkok 10250
Tel : (662) 643-5766
Fax : (662) 643-5167
Website :

Work Permit
All expatriates need a work permit if they wish to work in the kingdom of Thailand. This can be done by yourself or by the company employing you. Applications to get work permits are at the Department of Skill Development of the Ministry of Labor & Social Welfare. The person needs to arrive in Thailand on the correct visa which is usually a non-immigrant B to apply and receive a work permit.

More information can be found at:

Place to contact :
Bangkok :

Alien Occupational Control Division
Department of Employment Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare
Mit - Maitree Road, Dindaeng Bangkok 10400
Tel : (662) 245-2745

One Stop Service Center for Visa and Work Permit
Department of Employment
3rd Floor, Krisada Plaza Building
207 Ratchadapisek Road, Kwaeng
Dindaeng, Khet Huaykwang
Bangkok 10400
Tel : (662) 693-9333-9
Fax : (662) 693-9348

Living in Bangkok  |  Visa and work permits  |  International School  |  Bank  |  Hospital  |  Embassies  |  Offical holidays  |  Useful Thailand language information